Saturday, February 04, 2006

Breakfast began with saffron-flavored rice

I wanted something simple for breakfast, but with enough complexity to be satisfying. So, I started off by cooking a package of saffron-flavored rice, to which I added some peas at the very end. Meanwhile, I cooked three slices of bacon (which was a 2-for-1 special sale), poured off the excess fat, and lightly browned a small amount of finely chopped onion, which also deglazed the pan and incorporated all of the leftover bacon flavor into the onions. They needed a little bit more fat, though, so I added some olive oil. Once the onions were done, I set them aside on a plate, and added more olive oil to the skillet (non-nonstick, stainless steel). While it was heating, I beat a couple of eggs, and when the oil was very hot (almost smoking), I added the eggs in a stream, while stirring, and quickly stirred them in the pan, since it was pretty hot, and I didn't want them overcooked.

On a bed of the saffron rice & peas, I added a layer of the onions, then the scrambled eggs, and topped the whole thing with crumbled bacon.

1 Comments:

Blogger samcandide said...

Oh yum. I love these descriptions.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home