Thursday, January 26, 2006

Gore Vidal on the J-word

On the subject of George W. Bush : Gore Vidal simply sublimates the I-word and goes directly for the J-word...

Book of Jonah ~ 32:001:012

And he said unto them, Take me up, and cast me forth into the
sea; so shall the sea be calm unto you: for I know that for my

sake this great tempest is upon you.

You simply must read Gore Vidal's meditation on George W. Bush as a modern-day Jonah... if only because such literate writing on public affairs is so rare these days.

Although I receive Truthdig.com in my email regularly, I actually found Vidal's piece via The Huffington Post, which pointed to the original on Truthdig.com... which Robert Scheer founded soon after he was precipitously and inexplicably fired-- after thirty years!-- from the LA Times. Okay, okay, well, maybe not so inexplicably. Apparently, Scheer's publisher hated almost every word that he wrote, i.e., the ones about Bush's lies.

But, don't just read Vidal's piece; check out the rest of the links on Truthdig.com, which has been thoughtfully designed for both substance and style.

And-- the LA Times's loss (or really major goof) is our gain.

"Jonah Cast Forth By the Whale" by Gustave Dore (d. 1883) Courtesy of Wikipedia


cross-posted at http://blogs.salon.com/0004000/2006/01/25.html#a415

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home