Friday, January 20, 2006

"The Fifth Taste Emerges...

...from the Brine" (read this story from the NYTimes)

Umami -- without wheat or dairy-- is an experience that has become a bit more elusive for me than in years past. Parmesan cheese, for example, has umami, but I can't eat that. Sometime late last spring, I started eating butterscotch candy like there was no tomorrow. The combination of salty and sweet and the roundness and mellowness of the flavor. [sigh] It provided a taste sensation that I wasn't getting from rootbeer, which I had started drinking in earnest earlier that year. (Main Street brand, carried by Giant Food Stores, is my favorite, because it has the creamiest foam, and is available in a pony size.)

Well, I haven't had any rootbeer this week, and only two pieces of butterscotch; the only reason I even ate those is that one of my co-workers had filled up her candy dish with my favorite version (non-dairy) in those square cellophane packets that pop open without having to be untwisted.

I've decided I really have to cut down, or better yet, eliminate them from my diet. Both the butterscotch and the rootbeer. Not only did my blood pressure go up quite a bit (not really a problem, since it was awfully low before), but I gained a signficant number of pounds around my middle, meaning a size or two. I really can't justify buying all new clothes (beyond the two new pairs of pants I bought last month in desperation), when I have perfectly good clothes that I can almost wear, and sometimes still do, with a sweater hiding the length of zipper that remains unzipped. [sigh... sigh...]

So, now a new search for sources of umami and taste satisfaction must begin...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Karen! Just stopped by to say thanks (you know for what :) Congratulations on the apparently successful move. It will be fun catching up with what you've been fooling around with over here :)

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you considered recycling previous cravings? It's been awhile since you had a strawberry bar. You could eat some of those and then work your way back to root beer and butterscotch.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe something with ginger? The mild burn of rootbeer, the tang of butterscotch?

11:57 AM  
Blogger Karen M said...

Thanks, Carroll! (It's not permanent, though, just an experiment and an escape hatch.)

T: I've decided instead to keep the butterscotch and give up the rootbeer for now, since the rootbeer craving predates the one for butterscotch... I really don't want to go back to the strawberry bars... too cold, and much more expensive.

Meg: I did have a gingerale yesterday, but it doesn't feel the same to me as rootbeer, more astringent or something. It is my second choice of soda... after rootbeer. [sigh]

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home