Sunday, January 22, 2006

For now, I'm not giving up the butterscotch, after all...

...but I'll still try to forego the rootbeer, since it probably does more to put on both weight and inches.

It occurred to me awhile ago that there might be something in either the butterscotch or the rootbeer that I actually needed. (After all, I really craved them.)

However, when you read their lists of ingredients, you have to ask what could that be? I even thought, though I had not mentioned it to anyone, that maybe there was something about their taste or flavor that actually enhanced (my) digestion... something related to satisfaction. A rationalization?

Perhaps, but then I read something last night in the Fall 2005 issue of Gastronomica about the inter-related histories of both MSG and Umami, and was inspired to do a little searching on my own, which I did today...

While looking through other magazines last night at Border's, I came across some recipes for braised short ribs. They will be on next week's shopping list.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the mere suggestion wil make you gag, but I've become pretty firmly hooked on Diet Rootbeer -- only A&W tastes bearable to me in that cal-free formulation though, but I've come to really prefer it now over the regular. Just a thought :-)

3:51 PM  
Blogger Karen M said...

I'll keep it in mind, Carroll, but I'm really not a fan of artifical sweeteners... I'd be happy, if I could just find things with regular corn syrup, instead of the high-fructose variety.

Actually, I've tried regular A&W, and it's okay... but not nearly as good as the Main Street brand, which I swear has the creamiest rootbeer foam. Period.

For now, I'm going to see how long I can hold out...

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey K, I really love your new site, is this permanent? I am building my blogroll today and want to make sure I put down the right link.

I love love love this root beer they make here in NM that uses honey as the sweetener. I can't remember the name of it, though! I'll find out and get back to you. It's creamy, delish, and has a gorgeous complex flavor. I think you would love it. I could send you some!!

10:01 AM  
Blogger barbie2be said...

i gotta second what Carroll said... diet A&W isn't too bad.

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you might like this site

http://www.wellfed.net/paperpalate/index.php/paperpalate.php/2006/01/19/chefs_authors_bloggers_and_cooks_explore

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home